Assistant Professor, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program, NUHS
Director, Sleep Laboratory, NUH
Dr Khoo See Meng graduated from the University of Melbourne and completed his training in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine in NUH. He also holds a Master of Medicine in Sleep Medicine from the University of Sydney. Dr Khoo is the director of the sleep laboratory at NUH and also the director of the internal medicine residency program at NUHS. His areas of clinical and research interest include sleep medicine, asthma, aerosol therapy and medical education.
He also serves as the Chair of the scientific committee for the NUHS-Harvard BIDMC Medicine Conferences. Dr Khoo is actively involved in both undergraduate and postgraduate medical education, and has special interest in curriculum development and effective learning behaviours of residents.
- NUHS DIO Special Award 2013 for Excellent Mentoring
- NUH Postgraduate Teaching Excellence Award 2012
- Chan Heng Leong Overall Best Teacher Award 2012
- University Teaching Award (UMC) Teaching Award: Best Postgraduate Teacher 2012
- University Teaching Award (UMC) Teaching Award: Best Teacher (Lecture-based) for AY2011/2012 Postgraduate Teaching
- Residents' Choice Awards 2011-2012. Best Overall Session
- Residents' Choice Awards 2011-2012. Most Practical Session
- University Medicine Cluster (UMC) Mentorship Award 2011
- University Medicine Cluster (UMC) Teaching Award: Best Tutor for the AY2010/2011 Postgraduate Teaching
- University Medicine Cluster (UMC) Teaching Award: Outstanding Tutor for the AY2009/2010 Postgraduate Teaching
- Khoo SM, Lim TK. Prescribing and administration of nebulized bronchodilators: a prospective audit in a university hospital. Respirology 2003;8(2):205-7.
- Khoo SM, Tan WC, Ng TP, Ho CH. Risk factors associated with habitual snoring and sleep-disordered breathing in a multi-ethnic Asian population: a population-based study. Respir Med 2004;98:557-566.
- Khoo SM, Lee KH, Notley M. Spurious hypoxaemia in a patient with leukaemia and extreme leucocytosis. Singapore Med J 2003;44(4):208-10.
- Khoo SM, Lee KH. Rescue therapy with high-frequency oscillatory ventilation in severe acute respiratory distress syndrome. Crit Care & Shock 2004;7:58-61.
- Lim TK, Mukhopadhyay A, Gough A, Khoo KL, Khoo SM, Lee KH, Gamini K. The role of clinical judgement in the application of a nucleic acid amplification test for the rapid diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis. Chest 2003;124:902-8.
- Lim EH, Aggarwal A, Agasthian T, Wong PS, Tan C, Sim E, Tan L, Goh PS, Wang SC, Khoo KL, Mukherjee A, Khoo SM, Chua G, Nilsson B, Lee KH, Tan P. Feasibility of using low-volume tissue samples for gene expression profiling of advanced non-small cell lung cancers. Clin Cancer Res 2003;9:5980-7.
- Lateef A, Khoo SM, Lee KH. Procalcitonin in hypoxic brain damage. Intensive Care Med 2005;31:494.
- Kao SL, Yap ES, Khoo SM, Lim TK, Mukhopadhyay A, Li Teo ST. Acute lung injury after inhalation of nitric acid. Eur J Emerg Med 2008;15:348-50.
- KhooSM, Mukherjee JJ, Phua J, Shi DX. Obstructive sleep apnea presenting as recurrent cardiopulmonary arrest. Sleep Breath 2009 Mar;13:89-92.
- Khoo SM, Lim TK. Effects of inhaled versus systemic corticosteroids on exhaled nitric oxide in severe acute asthma. Respir Med. 2009 Apr;103(4):614-20.
- Khoo SM, Tan JH, Shi DX, Khalizah HJ, Rajendran N, Lim TK. Propriospinal myoclonus at sleep onset causing severe insomnia: a polysomnographic and electromyographic analysis. Sleep Med 2009 Jun;10(6):686-9.
- Khoo SM, Tan LK, Said N, Lim TK. The use of metered dose inhaler with spacer in place of nebulizer during the outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. Respir Care 2009 July;54(7):855-60
- Lee CH, Khoo SM, Tai BC, Chong EY, Lau C, Than Y, Shi DX, Lee LC, Kailasam A, Low AF, Teo SG, Tan HC. Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Patients Admitted for Acute Myocardial Infarction: Prevalence, Predictors, and Effect on Microvascular Perfusion. Chest 2009 Jun;135(6):1488-95.
- Lee CH, Khoo SM. Factor that may influence apnea hypopnea index in patients with acute myocardial infarction. Chest 2009;136(5):1444-5.
- Lee LC, Torres MC, Khoo SM, Chong EY, Lau C, Than Y, Shi DX, Kailasam A, Poh KK, Lee CH, Yeo TC. The relative impact of obstructive sleep apnoea and hypertension on the structural and functional changes of the thoracic aorta. SLEEP 2010 Sep:33(9):1173-6.
- Khoo SM, Poh HK, Chan YH, NgerngWJ, Shi DX, Lim TK. Diagnostic characteristics of clinical prediction models for obstructive sleep apnea in different clinic populations. Sleep Breath 2010;15:431-7.
- Lee CH, Khoo SM, Chan MY, Wong HB, Low AF, Phua QH, Richards IM, Tan HC, Yeo TC. Severe obstructive and outcomes following myocardial infarction. J Clin Sleep Med 2011 Dec;7(6):616-21.
- Loo G, Hein T, Tai BC, Khoo SM, Chan MY, Chia BL, Richards M, Yeo TC, Lee CH. Screening of Hospitalized Patients at High Risk of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in General Cardiology Service. Int J Cardiol 2012. Epub Ahead of print.
- Huggan PJ, Samarasekara DD, Archuleta S, Khoo SM, Sim JH, Sin CS, Ooi SB. The successful, rapid transition to a new model of graduate medical education in Singapore. Acad Med 2012 Sep;87(9):1268-73.
- Hein T, G Loo, Ng WY, Tai BC, Kajiya T, Tan A, Khoo SM, Chan M, Low AF, Chia BL, Richards M, Lee CH. Relationship between apnoea-hypopnoea index and angiographic coronary disease phenotypes in patients presenting with acute myocardial infarction. Acute Cardiac Care. Accepted for publication.
Chapters of Books:
- Survival Guide to Acute Medicine (2nd edition). Respiratory section Chapter 2. Singapore: Ridge Books c2007.
- Casebook of Sleep Medicine (German). Schlafmedizin in der Praxis. Die Internationale Klassifikation von Schlafstorungen in Fallberichten. Ecomed MEDIZIN 2009.
- M(odified) E(ssay) Q(uestions) for Medicine Finals. With Solutions and Tips. Respiratory Medicine Section. World Scientific 2013.
- Principal Investigator. NHG Cluster Research Fund. Should peak measurement be a discharge criteria in patients hospitalized with asthma? (2002 to 2003).
- Principal Investigator. Small Innovative Grant (SIG). The effect of CPAP treatment on atrial fibrillation in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea. (2007).
- Principal Investigator. Teaching Enhancement Grant (AY 2010/2011). Real-time assessment and feedback of medical students and residents to enhance learning in a high workload teaching hospital. (2010 / 2011).
- Principal Investigator. NUHS Innovation and Creativity Education (NICE) Grant. Team based ward round with real-time assessment and feedback to enhance resident education and inter-professional interactions. (2012).
- Co-Investigator. NMRC Transition Award. Obstructive sleep apnea and its relationship with concurrent change in left ventricular function after myocardial. (2012).